Register at Forums to See Everything

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Sat Apr 8 20:08:49 EDT 2006

Björnke von Gierke wrote:

> Also note this link:
> http://forums.runrev.com/phpBB2/search.php?search_id=newposts
>
> And this one:
> http://forums.runrev.com/phpBB2/search.php?search_id=unanswered
>
> It's really not necessary to browse trough the whole forum, just to
> see the newest posts.
> (These links are almost at the top of the forum index page, to the right)
> Of course they only work if you sign in...

But I never want to see "the newest posts". What I *want* is a link that
shows me the posts (or at least the forums, and as I enter each
individual forum shows me the posts within it) which I haven't read
yet.. The link shows "posts since last visit" - so if I enter the
forums, get interrupted by some external event and log out again
immediately, then I no longer have any idea which forums/posts I need to

These forum thingies will never take the place of an email list, which
provides exactly that functionality so unobtrusively it's easy to forget
just how important it is.

And, I think the forum doesn't have any way to check for updates (new
posts) while you are logged in, unless I've just missed it. Is there a
way to do that ?