use-revolution Digest, Vol 31, Issue 20

bryan mccormick bryan at deepfoo.com
Sat Apr 8 14:57:26 EDT 2006

Dan, Marielle

At the risk of really opening the hornets nest, here is my 2 cents. Dan,
I've actually known of you for multiple decades now -- way, way back in
the dark days of HyperCard 1.0. The thing is this, I know you are a
stand-up fellow and have done lots of great work for the community then
and now. I also know you'd never discourage anyone from voicing real
complaints. At least I didn't until recently when I saw you threaten to
(or so it seemed, perception in email/list form is a very delicate and
tricky thing) apparently sic the forum police on some fellow who
appeared to simply be complaining. I thought that very odd and wasn't
sure what it was all about. Didn't seem like your usual very cordial
style. Just so you know. But nothing to "flip the bozo bit" about (for
those who do not know the book, read it, very germane to this conversation).

Marielle, I too have had some horrific problems with the 2.7 release on
WinXP in a multi-monitor environment. Same one I've run 2.6.1 in
successfully without any problems. I have been working with the team by
reporting what I can, running tests, etc to try to figure this out.
Frankly I hope it is something that is a configuration problem. I'd
rather it be that than an engine bug. But I would say we won't know that
for sometime to come. It could be something subtle and subtle is very,
very hard to fix. The team is genuinely interested in keeping its
customers, at least judging from the responses. However it likely does
not serve the interest of the list in general to keep flogging the issue
in public. I did it once, wrote a heart-felt message of displeasure to
the team, got the most cordial reply back you could hope for, and vowed
to roll up sleeves and keep at it with them. Why? Because anyone who
would NOT retaliate against the stones I threw really has customer
hearts and minds close to them. They deserve all the support they can
get. Had it been other vendors I can assure you (having had the
experience) the other end of the email would go dark and I'd never have
satisfaction.

Proffered with the hope of mending fences.