Valentina

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sat Apr 8 03:41:47 EDT 2006

On 4/8/06 8:44 AM, "Robert Sneidar" <bobs at twft.com> wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> Is anyone with something less than a doctorate in highly complex
> programming languages using Valentina succesfully? What I am looking
> for is something I can use to EASILY create indexed tables and then
> quickly find, edit and update those tables. I know SQL has become the
> standard way of doing things, but the "S" is ANYTHING but SIMPLE,
> especially when it comes to querys. Maybe it's just the manuals are
> not very clear. I get most of it in principle, but I simply cannot
> take the time to learn a few hundred more functions at this point. I
> need to get to work on the INTERFACE. To do that, I need to make
> tables for the data. I will need to do that programmatically later.
>
> I suppose if someone knows a better reference for Valentina then
> those horribly writtten manuals they provide it would be a HUGE
> start! Otherwise I am going to have to write off the money I spent
> for Valentina and find something else.

Robert,

Actually no need to learn hundreds functions on start. Yes Valentina Is
quite complex and feature reach. So if you are new to database development
you can be stunned.

I have not catch if you know SQL good?
Assume yes. To give you direction. Template if you want
I will use just pseudo-language

1) Create database object

    db = Database_New

2) Create db on disk:

    Database_Creaate( db, path )

3) Create Table

    Database_SqlExecute( db, "CREATE TABLE T1 (id ulong)" )

3) insert records

    Database_SqlExecute( db, "INSERT INTO T1 (id) VALUES (1)" )
    Database_SqlExecute( db, "INSERT INTO T1 (id) VALUES (2)" )
    Database_SqlExecute( db, "INSERT INTO T1 (id) VALUES (3)" )

4) Update Records

    Database_SqlExecute( db, "UPDATE T1 SET id = 55 WERE id = 1" )

5) Search table

    curs = Database_SqlSelect( db, "SELECT * FROM T1" )
    Cursor_Destory( curs )

6) Close database

    Database_Close( db )

You still think anything hard here? I hope no :-)

This is SQL Way of Valentina which support usually all other dbs.

Just for info: Valentina in contrast also offer API way of coding and Class
way (for OO languages). Revolution is not so much OO language (YET I hope).
I should admit that e.g. REALBasic and c++ users of Valentina in 90%
case-sensitive  prefer Class-way of development.

The main with Valentina - we always give to developer a CHOICE.

--
Best regards,

Ruslan Zasukhin
VP Engineering and New Technology