[Ticket#: 2006040510000641] Re: [OT] Articles to read

Garrett Hylltun garrett at paraboliclogic.com
Thu Apr 6 20:42:29 EDT 2006

Richard Gaskin wrote:
> David Burgun wrote:
>
>> One rule I try to always stick to, is that if there are bugs reported
>> in a release, however minor, they are fixed before the next major
>> release is made.
>
> How many commercial products do you publish, and how large are they (KLOC)?
>
> Of course we'd all like to aim for zero defects in our work, but in
> practice if a program is complex enough the developer will have to
> settle for less than being the only vendor to ship a program of that
> size bug-free.

[The ideas, opinions and statements made in the following rant are that
of the author and not of Runtime Revolution Ltd.]

That doesn't make it an acceptable practice at all.  Developers can aim
for higher standards and produce bug free software.  Excuses are just
that, *Excuses*.  Just because you don't mind, or accept that in your
mind that bug free is impossible, doesn't mean that it is impossible,
only that you've accepted in your mind that it is impossible.

What it comes down to is money.  The need to get the cash flow going as
quickly as possible.  Make the money now, fix the errors later.  But it
never happens.  As the money trickles in, the desire to increase that
trickle to a flow takes precedent over the need to fix the errors.
Adding more new features becomes a priority in hopes to attract more new
business, increase revenue, pile more bugs on top of those that already
exist.  It eventually ends up being a feedback loop and the product
never becomes exactly what it should be.

Complex or not, a developer has the chance to make it right the first
time.  If the program is so complex that the developer can't make it
right, then the developer is working beyond his/her abilities and should
not take part in that project.  But again, there's the money!

I'm sorry, but my expectations of software is higher.  I get so tired of
hearing B.S. and excuses as to why software isn't or can't be bug free.

And in my opinion, anyone knowingly releasing software that has bugs in
it is (add your own explicit comments here).

I can accept bugs that slip by undetected, but once reported or found,
they should be fixed before the next release, whether that release is an
update or an upgrade, or in Runtime's case, the update that's actually
an upgrade.

Yes yes, I've heard the stories before "I've been programming since the
first abacus was made, hold PHD's in BS and Excuses and it's always been
like this!"  Blah blah!  And these people make no efforts to improve
these situations, instead they make excuses because they've been brain
washed into thinking that this an acceptable practice or the money
speaks louder to them than doing the job right.

How can someone sleep at night knowing they've release software with
bugs in it?  Don't you feel guilty about it?

My morals and virtues are not for sale.  If I can't do the job right,
then I'm not doing the job at all!  In my mind, it would be just like
fraud, like selling bogus insurance, or claiming that the land you are
selling is on the lake, only to find that there's a mud puddle in the
back yard.

Hey, buy this new kick ass car!  It Rocks! (it's got cracks in the
hoses, a leak in the gas line and the piston rings are totally sub
standard, and brakes that might lock up at any time, and it's all
straight from the factory ready for you to take home today)

You know, if the car companies did that, they'd be in court (and have)
getting their hind ends handed to them!  But it's ok for a software
developer to release software knowing there's bugs in it.

I sure hope Runtime doesn't make any software for the medical industry,
or for any Space programs like NASA!  I could just picture the results
of Runtime made software running a Space Shuttle... BOOM!  But it's
acceptable of course.  Just couldn't work out that bug in the pressure
balancing routine.  Oh well, let's add some new features and charge them
for an upgrade now.

Grrr..... I'd better go take a chill pill and stop ranting here... Sorry
about that.  I just get so frustrated about this topic.

Don't get me totally wrong here.  I love the language.  Just can't
accept all the bugs and the price I paid for buying all these bugs.
Thought I was buying a programming language, not a bug farm.

Probably a good thing that I'm not in politics, they'd probably take me
out before the elections instead of waiting until I got into office.  ;-)

-Garrett
"Is honor so cheap, or morals so meaningless, as to be sold at the price
of instability or software riddled with bugs?  Forbid it! almighty
developers.  I know not what crap others may put up with, but as for
me... Give me Solid Software or Give me my Money Back!"