no mention of OS9 at rev? Not true.

Robert Brenstein rjb at robelko.com
Wed Apr 5 15:47:09 EDT 2006

>Obviously it's been hard for them to deal with their development
>tools for an OS that's been officially off the roadmap now for a
>while.

It may be off the roadmap but it is alive and well and still used by
millions. It actually speaks for its quality that it lives so long
with no updates and only a few known problems. I just turned on my
Windows 98 computer and found new security patches released recently
for it. MS tried to stop supporting W98 but there are clearly enough
users that they continue doing so for now. Apple's switching to Intel
chips with no support for Classic emulation in Rosetta will give a
big blow to OS9 but considering excellent longevity of Apple
hardware, it does not mean its immediate death (vide HyperCard :). Of
course, OS9 as a market for general applications is pretty much out;
however, RR is not delivering user-end applications but development
tools, and it is clear that there is still a segment of their users
that uses and supports OS9. It would be a shame if they stopped
supporting OS9 before their users do.

Robert