networking tutorial ?

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Mon Apr 3 05:59:48 EDT 2006

Marty Billingsley wrote:

>Anyway, is there a tutorial on networking using RunRev?

When I started this reply, I didn't know of one.   (But I do now - see
later ... :-)

>I want to make
>two Macs talk to each other (using Bonjour, or whatever else will work)
>and share a stack.

Bonjour would be a good way for the two (or more) Macs to discover each
other (or more likely a single central "server" with which they would
directly interact).

I'm not sure what you have in mind by "share a stack" - but if if you
mean it literally, I think that can't be done. If what you mean is the
same stack being run on each client to produce a shared environment and
experience, then it can be done and is fairly simple.

> Is this reasonably easy to do?  I'm exploring two
>ideas: simple multi-user games for my students, and creating an
>application where several users can draw on a card at the same time --
>like SubEthaEdit, except with painting.
>
>Thanks for any pointers (including subject headers of previous threads)
>you can provide.

Simple multi-user games should be straightforward (unless you need
high-performance, real time as in first-person shooter games). Shared
drawing may be more difficult; just basic functionality shouldn't be
hard, but to make it feel comfortable and smooth could be, IMO, very
difficult - so it depends on what you're trying for.

Although not tutorials, there are some samples

1. Basics.
On RevOnline, under user alextweedly there are two sets of samples.
TCP:   "TCP App1" and "TCP App 2" are a client + server using TCP
UDP: "UDP Echo server" and "UDP Echo client" are a similar pair using UDP

There was an earlier discussion on the list about TCP vs UDP, but 99% of
the time, TCP is the way to go unless there are specialized needs.

2. Advanced samples
The Chat server and client (original by *//Björnke von Gierke//* , with
clients by various people) provides an excellent example of a complete
application.

And, as I've just discovered, this is one of the examples in the RunRev
Video tutorials - see
http://support.runrev.com/tutorials/projects.php

(I have to admit, I don't know how you obtain the sample stacks
discussed in this tutorial - maybe they're part of the current
distribution.  I also don't know how to get the stacks directly from the
developers, they don't seem to be on the page that I had bookmarked as
Bjornke's site, but  perhaps Bjornke will chime in.)