What is Mac OS fat?

Marian Petrides mpetrides at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 25 20:49:21 EDT 2005

Steve

You are correct. A "fat" binary file includes both the PPC and 68K
versions of an app and, thus, trades flexibility in machines on which
it can be run for the downside of creating a larger file.  While I'd
imagine there are very few people still running 68K machines, it is
also true that the increase in filesize becomes a relatively trivial
issue on machines with storage capacity measured in tens to hundreds
of gigabytes.  So, if it were I, I'd just compile as a fat binary.

Marian