data-design question

david bovill david at openpartnership.net
Sun Sep 25 09:06:19 EDT 2005

On 25 Sep 2005, at 05:05, Charles Hartman wrote:

> On Sep 24, 2005, at 9:23 PM, Alex Tweedly wrote:
>
> Python I know. SQLite I don't, but I should learn. Do you know of
> an OSX pysqlite binary distributable, aside from Darwinports (which
> has been messy when I've tried to use it in the past)?
>
> Sockets I've never dealt with. Time to learn that too, I guess.

Just turn it into a web service - For REStful web services this means
nothing other than using hhtp POST (ie "post something to someURL)
to send data in some format (often XML) to some (python) code you
have (running effectively as a CGI) .... which returns the data you
need... You could also use XMLRPC if you want to set that up server
side. I have some links to REST based services and architecture here:

     http://del.icio.us/fortyfoxes/rest

> I'm sorely tempted. But I'd have to do this stealing time from
> teaching and closer-to-home research, and I'd be afraid I wouldn't
> be a very reliable collaborator. Maybe we could at least trade some
> ideas off-list about how it ought to work?

All collaborators are unreliable - it's one of the foundations of
open source :)