data-design question

david bovill david at openpartnership.net
Sun Sep 25 08:48:43 EDT 2005

On 24 Sep 2005, at 21:21, Trevor DeVore wrote:

> On Sep 24, 2005, at 11:34 AM, Charles Hartman wrote:
>

>> Any suggestions about the best approach to the internals of this?
>> I'm not clear whether, for example, custom properties are up to
>> the demands of what's essentially a relational database . . .

Custom properties can do anything :)

> Are you already familiar with SQL and relational databases?  If so
> I would recommend using a SQL database for storage.

I'd second that. I'm working on metadata for film and video at the
moment, and much of this comes from similar work for audio and radio.
There could be some overlap with the project you are working on - so
do get in touch offlist if you are interested.

> I just posted the latest beta of version 2.0 which has a Getting
> Started PDF and some docs for all of the handlers.  Even though it
> is still beta I use the library in all of my commercial apps.  It
> has been tested with altSQLite, MySQL and Valentina 1.x.
>
> I don't have an example stack for version 2 yet but the version 1
> library does.  I also haven't bundled the libDatabaseObjects
> library with it yet which contains helper functions for creating
> drop-down menus, selection fields, etc. which link database record
> ids with menu and fields items.  I will get around to it one day.

Thanks - looks really useful. Especially the ability to convert one
database to another.