Sound formats

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Sat Sep 24 16:17:07 EDT 2005

Xavier....

WAV and AIFF files are HUGE compared to MP3's.; on the order of 20x.
For Internet delivery, my understanding is that mp3 is really pretty
standard. Microsoft claims ( http://www.microsoft.com/windows/
windowsmedia/knowledgecenter/mediaadvice/0071.aspx#417) that Windows
Media Player (Version 9 and later) supports the .mp3 format as well,
but my audio consultant tells me that's just a lie as far as he can
tell.

If I'm understanding this correctly -- and as I've already said, I'm
clearly not the multimedia guru in these parts -- it is not possible
to find a single file format that can be guaranteed to play on both
Windows and OS X without requiring the user of one system or the
other (or both) to download either an app or a codec. My survey
suggests that MP3 is the default standard for compressed audio but
that if you want higher-fidelity delivery (generally not over the Net
but rather on CD/DVD), you offer both AIFF and WAV formats and pretty
much cover the waterfront.

I've noticed that sites that make sound files available generally
default to .mp3 files; I assume Windows users must have some fairly
convenient if not automatic way of playing them.

Maybe it's just me but this state of affairs seems quite abominable
given how long we've been at this stuff.