AW: How trim: Bug in RegExp engine + docWiki

Marielle Lange mlange at lexicall.org
Tue Oct 25 07:05:38 EDT 2005

Ken,

Many thanks for the information. As you probably realized, the
problem is not that I am unfamiliar with PCRE (I have used it for a
long times, in PHP), the problem is more that I never realized that
revolution was now correctly implementing PCRE.

Sure, there is this mention at the very bottom of the matchtext
function. "Changes to Transcript: The regular expression format
changed in version 2.0 to use PCRE compatible syntax". But when I
tried the PCRE syntax in version 2.1, they were not working properly.
I read that in version 2.5 or 2.6 regular expressions had been
improved but there is no mention of PCRE in the "regular expression
syntax" popup and examples haven't changed.

So how was I supposed to know that this has been fixed?

Back to the idea of a community documentation system, compare the
ease of reading and information finding for:
     http://www.pcre.org/man.txt
and
     http://uk.php.net/manual/en/reference.pcre.pattern.modifiers.php

Aren't the user contributed notes very handy too? Wouldn't doc on the
web contribute to revolution visibility? Honestly, what I do use
php.net for is for stealing ideas on how to code things... sometimes
I translate this to revolution. A good wiki with rev doc could get
other scripters very curious about revolution's extraordinary
capabilities.

Marielle
--------
Marielle Lange (PhD),  Psycholinguist