docWikis

Marielle Lange mlange at lexicall.org
Tue Oct 25 06:42:42 EDT 2005

Hi Tim,

I found your comments really excellent. Thanks for them.

So the first thing we should be doing is to create standards for the
representation of code and snippets to guarantee interoperability,
ease of update, and exchange. I proposed Hugh (the author of the
scripter's scrapbook ) to go in that direction, he was interested,
asked for more info then I got busy and didn't follow up.

Okay, this is a group we can easily create completely open as it is
in the very best interest of all list members (perhaps not Hugh though).

> Of course that would require standardized formats, or at least
> easily convertible formats. I don't know enough about wikis to
> understand the practicality.

The thing is that once you have information stored in a standard
format, it is very easy to translate it from one environment to
another.  In fact, if the list members were keen enough to take the 1
minute required to format their reply in standard format, something
like:

<instructions></instructions>
<comments></comments>
<code></code>

... it is possible to consider the automatic parsing of the
contributions on the rev list. Again, cost to produce the standards.
Once they are produced, maximum group benefit at minimal individual
cost.

I will be away for a month (starting this Friday). I will take some
notes before I go away (i.e., today).
But the time I am ready to spend on this is of course strongly
influenced by the impact I can expect for my efforts (I like to
contribute but not to waste my time). So can I ask members of this
list to take the time to answer these three questions.

Where should we discuss the development of standards for rev code for
maximum participation:
(a) somewhere neutral (yahoo group), (b) please not a yahoo group,
(c) no preference.

I would like to help with the design of standards for rev code
(a) yes, (b) no, (c) not skilled enough

If standards are defined, then I am ready to use them in all emails I
post to the rev mailing list, so they can be automatically parsed
(a) yes, (b) no, (c) don't understand

PLEASE, ***don't do it on this list**** (enough traffic already).
For each one of these questions, You can tick a box at:
http://revolution.lexicall.org/wiki/tiki-take_survey.php?surveyId=1
This is completely anonymous and you don't need to be a registered
user of the wiki to answer.

Many thanks!
Marielle
--------