How trim: Bug in RegExp engine

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Mon Oct 24 21:05:11 EDT 2005

On 10/24/05 5:40 PM, "Marielle Lange" <mlange at lexicall.org> wrote:

>> The other main issue is that Rev does not support all the fine
>> nuances of Perl-style RegEx, though the docs say it does.

Actually, what they support is whatever comes with the PCRE engine, and is
supported fully for matchText/matchChunk (AFAIK), whereas it seems like
replaceText only seems to support a portion of PCRE (although I could be
wrong).

> A problem is that their documentation doesn't match what their
> functions.

True, but they *do* say "Revolution implements regular expressions
compatible with the PCRE library. For detailed information about regular
expression elements you can use with this function, see the PCRE manual at
<http://www.pcre.org/man.txt>."

And given the fact that regular expressions is a lengthy topic, I'm not too
surprised that they have not explained them in detail.

> I was surprised to see Mark use \s and \S as they are not mentioned
> in the documentation (which hasn't been updated to follow updates in
> the function in version 2.5). Full information about these special
> codes can be found below.

See above - I think they just want people to read the docs at pcre.org.

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software