How trim?

Wilhelm Sanke sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de
Mon Oct 24 18:20:34 EDT 2005

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005, Jim Ault <JimAultWins at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the input, Wilhelm.
> <snip>
> I was thinking about functions that would handle things that were a little
> more difficult for repeat loops, such as
> -embedded multiple  spaces    where you are expecting one
> -pattern recognition to correct user input, eg
> -plurals,
> -abbreviations,
> -commas vs periods [email and urls ]

We have been addressing such problems with more or less working
solutions in our educational stacks for some time.
I  recognized  the potential of your  flexible approach and appreciate
it. I was going to comment on it in my last post and then somehow left
it out.

> Further
> Using the Rev 'filter' lines command, as well as matchText,
> replaceText, etc

One of the many areas in which I still have to develop my abilities is
surely dealing with Regex expressions. I am working on it.

> Any ideas that would help you?

Thanks for the offer, maybe I will come back to that. -

When I said

"At least it is easier to understand and apply than Regex expressions,
especially for
 Xtalk novices"

I was more thinking of the students at our institution that I try to
introduce to multimedia programming including using Metacard/Transcript
when I talked of "novices".

You can inspect some of the results of my endeavors on page "Student
Samples" of my website <http://www.sanke.org/MetaMedia>.

Best

Wilhelm Sanke, Prof.
Media Sciences/Educational Technology