Best Update Standalone Scenario

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Sat Oct 22 15:44:33 EDT 2005

Aloha, Chipp and Mark:

Excellent, thanks... I have copied Chipps scenario to my own
knowledge base.

Two questions:

1)  How do you handle the Splash Screen-Engine-Player after the
MainStack is opened... set it to invisible? Just let it sit in the
background behind everything? I would guess the former, which is more
normal UI behavior (I mean there is no Splash screen present in the
visible GUI once the user opens an MS word document, or any Adobe
document either...)

2) Marie Signe recently said the special folder path to /Application
Data/ on Windows was (26)... this email say (35) ....

Looking at the MSDN site we see:

CSIDL_APPDATA (0x001a)
     Version 4.71. The file system directory that serves as a common
repository for application-specific data. A typical path is C:
\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data. This CSIDL is
supported by the redistributable Shfolder.dll for systems that do not
have the Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 integrated Shell installed.

= specialFolderPath(26)

CSIDL_CDBURN_AREA (0x003b)
     Version 6.0. The file system directory acting as a staging area
for files waiting to be written to CD. A typical path is C:\Documents
and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\CD
Burning.

= specialFolderPath(59)

CSIDL_COMMON_APPDATA (0x0023)
     Version 5.0. The file system directory containing application
data for all users. A typical path is C:\Documents and Settings\All
Users\Application Data.

= specialFolderPath(35)

Aside query about Windows systems... why are two different ones for

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data
and
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\)

??
What should we use and why?

Sivakatirswami