Best Update Standalone Scenario

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Sat Oct 22 13:32:59 EDT 2005

Chipp-

> Check out
> http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-revolution/2003-August/021590.html

The only things I would add to Chipp's excellent writeup are:

I have an aversion to apps that "phone home" on their own at startup,
so I leave this as an option for the users to check for updated
versions on their own. There are obviously cases, though, where you do
want the automatic checks to occur at startup.

And the "splash screen" approach to segmenting your program also has a
couple of advantages that Chipp didn't metion: a) since the process of
creating a standalone binds the engine to the mainstack, this then
gets attached to the splash screen, making updates much smaller and
faster downloads; and b) the user perception of the smaller download
is that you're not really giving them a whole new application (you may
be), but that it's a minor update, making them feel better about
updating the app.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net