Saving Prefs on Windows

Signe Marie Sanne Signe.Sanne at roman.uib.no
Wed Oct 19 06:20:02 EDT 2005

Sivakatirswami skrev:

> I'm finding I really need to have my apps take greater control over
> installation locations, upgrades, prefs etc. otherwise support time
> goes way up for naive users... i.e. basic operations like the above
> just needs to happen automatically...
>
> for OSX, it is clear where to save supporting  files...
>
> /Applications/myRevApp/someApp.rev
> /Library/Application Support/myRevApp/supportFiles..../
>
> but I'm not familiar with Windows. In one app I am just saving some
> Prefs for my app in the user's Documents/myRevAppPrefs/  folder...
> using the special path.. some Windows users are not super happy about
> this... as it is not normal Windows behavior.
>
> Is it ok to simply make a new folder in the Windows System folder and
> put your prefs and any lo-level support files there? These being  files
> the users never needs to see or edit.

Very often lots of directories on Windows are blocked for access. If you use
specialfolderPath(26) this directory is usually open for storing files.

This directory is C:/Documents and Settings/.../Application Data

Signe Marie Sanne

1. amanuensis/Senior lecturer
Romansk institutt                 	Tlf. 	+47 55 58 21 27
Øisteins gt. 1				Epost: 	signe.sanne at roman.uib.no
Universitetet i Bergen

http://www.hf.uib.no/mlab/Info/sms.html