Slightly OT: Setting privileges on OS-X

Ton Kuypers tkuypers at pandora.be
Mon Oct 17 08:29:38 EDT 2005

Hi,

Are there Unix-wizzkids out there?

I've created a small RR app that creates a bunch of standard folders
(like the list below) where users can drop job-related items in.

Now I need to secure these folders, but not the content...
The folders I create may not be deleted by a user, only by the owner,
which will be me :-)) but the users are allowed to create new folders
or files in the basic folders. These files and folders they should be
able to change, delete, rename, etc.

I've found a lot of examples on the web, but I don't know anything on
unix privileges, Sticky Bits, etc...
Is there anyone around who has created a shell script or an app that
does thins like this? If not I will have a sleepless night in solving
this, because I know it should be possible...

Any help is welcome

Ton Kuypers

Example:
Job 1                             Read Write
     Folder 1                    Read Write
         Folder 1                Read Write
             UserFolder 1   Read Write Delete
                 UserFile 1    Read Write Delete
                 UserFile 2    Read Write Delete
                 UserFile 3    Read Write Delete
             UserFile 1        Read Write Delete
             UserFile 2        Read Write Delete
             UserFile 3        Read Write Delete
         Folder 2                Read Write
             UserFolder 2   Read Write Delete
                 UserFile 1    Read Write Delete
                 UserFile 2    Read Write Delete
                 UserFile 3    Read Write Delete
         UserFile 1            Read Write Delete
         UserFile 2            Read Write Delete
         UserFile 3            Read Write Delete
     Folder 2                    Read Write
         Folder 1                Read Write
         Folder 2                Read Write
             Folder 1            Read Write
             UserFolder 1   Read Write Delete
                 UserFile 1    Read Write Delete
                 UserFile 2    Read Write Delete
                 UserFile 3    Read Write Delete
             Folder 2            Read Write
             Folder 3            Read Write
         Folder 3                Read Write
         Folder 4                Read Write
Job 2                             Read Write
     Folder 1                    Read Write
         Folder 1                Read Write
         Folder 2                Read Write
     Folder 2                    Read Write