ANN: Constellation Script & Property Editor 1.0.0 Released

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Mon Oct 17 02:36:19 EDT 2005

Constellation began life at the Revolution Masters Summit in Monterey
two summers ago when we were all kicking around Rev IDE replacements.
Some of us were bemoaning the absence of an IDE for Rev that would
look and behave more like a multi-pane, single-environment
development tool a la Smalltalk. Jerrry caught the vision and now, at
long last, he is shipping Constellation.

I've been one of the early testers on this baby from the beginning
and I have to say that I really, really, REALLY like it. A lot. You
can spend an entire development cycle in Constellation and never
leave it. You'll also never have to dork around with dozens of open
windows and palettes getting lost behind each other. The fact that
Rev *still* hasn't fixed the stupid backdrop capability so it works
well in their IDE is a non-issue because with Constellation as your
IDE, you never have to worry about losing things in the confusion of
the window-filled screen. And yet, with multiple tabs available, you
can have multiple stacks, cards, or other objects open and switch
between then with great ease.

Once you get used to developing in Constellation, it's hard to go
back to the piecemeal, disjointed-feeling approach taken by the Rev
IDE. And I can guarantee you that Constellation has fewer quirks and
bugs and anomalies than the Rev IDE. I sometimes work for several
hours in Constellation on a project -- even once or twice on multiple
projects -- and never get lost. Truly amazing.

Give it a whirl, but give it enough of a chance to get your arms
around it. It's as powerful as the Rev IDE in almost every way and
it's easier to use but it does require you to undo some of the Rev
IDE thinking you've grown accustomed to.

For me, Constellation is as big a leap forward as was finding
Revolution in the first place.

http://www.shafermedia.com
 From http://www.shafermediastore.com/tech_main.html