Rev vs. AJAX... Ajax vs TAOO

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Fri Oct 14 14:28:56 EDT 2005

xbury.cs at clearstream.com wrote:

>Hi Alex
>

>>No, first thing he had was an "elevator pitch". In his case, he didn't
>>need to create it specifically as an elevator pitch - but what he had
>>was a simple, 30-50 second description of what he was doing that was
>>understandable to almost any potential collaborator.
>>
>>"I'm doing an open-source, freely licensed version of Unix - it will be
>>library and API compatible so all your code, shell scripts and general
>>usage will work on it."
>>
>>TAOO doesn't, as far as I know, have that.
>>

>That's the first line on my website!!!

Do you mean

> *M*odular *O*bject *N*etwork *S*emantical *I*nfeered *E*rgonomic
> *U*ser-friendly *R*apid *X*treme *D*evelopment *O*r
> *T*rans-*C*ontextual *O*rganization *M*anagement.

Sorry - that doesn't tell me anything (other than that you're clever at
coming up with acronyms :-)

>http://monsieurx.com/TAOO also has that as front story...
>
>and there's the documentation...

Which starts out
"The hardest thing about TAOO is explaining exactly what it is or what
it cannot do. It is many things ...."

>When i made a documentation stack - nobody found it useful. I said at one
>point that it was an
>example - and people still didn't see it... I can't tell you how lost i am
>at that point!
>
>Nor did i ever hear you ask "how it should feel"...

People hate to give negative feedback. It's not too hard to do if it's
specific and objective ("I did this and it gave the wrong answer"), but
it's very difficult to give non-specific negative feedback ("I read all
the docs and I just don't understand what it's about"). I downloaded the
docs a year ago, read through them, didn't "get it", and so I just
assumed that it was my fault for skimming too quickly - but I didn't
have the time to dig in more deeply, so I gave you little or no
feedback. (Actually, I did send one email saying something like that it
was too abstract and more concrete examples would help - but it wasn't
as much feedback as I might have given).

To go back to the Linux example - it was easy to understand what Linux
was because the end result is very similar to a familiar item (Unix),
with a well-defined variation (open source, free, community, etc.).

TAOO is not that similar to any one familiar item (AFAICT), so it's
harder to describe, and harder to understand.

I know this is probably *too* simple to be a good example - but I think
it would help to see the "hello world" of taoo. Pick a kind of app that
taoo is ideally suited for, and provide either a sample stack, or
perhaps a tutorial explaining the decision processes and development
actions taken in developing it - all to show how and why taoo helps.
"hello world" is far too simple to be suitable - but some tiny-to-small app.