Rev vs. AJAX... Ajax vs TAOO [|Not so Short]

Dave LeYanna dleyanna at rtl.org
Fri Oct 14 13:53:44 EDT 2005

As a novice to both Rev. and certainly TAOO (but not SQL, data modeling
or RADs) perhaps it may be useful for me to take the data modeler's
equivalent of an advanced "Hello World" and work with you to produce a
tutorial that shows the complete process of developing a "Name, Address,
Phone Number" application using TAOO. As we all know, tracking and
formatting names and addresses can be tricky if you want to be as
flexible as possible. Considering internationalization, households with
couples that don't have the same last name with children with different
last names, etc.

This sound like a perfect job for a TAOO template. A name template, an
address template and a phone number template and a group of these with
"automatic relationships" when you plop them together. A business
address is more complex that a residence one. What if you want both type
in the same stack? How would you create a "name" line for an envelope
that was going to a particular person at an address as opposed to a
communication that was intended for a couple that resided at that
address? Once more, how would you create the salutation for a
personalized letter inside for each situation?

Once you had all of this figured out and placed in templates I would
think that one would only need to copy the template into the app and
perhaps adjust some "configuration" variables and, "Ta DA!" in mere
moments, that part of a custom app is done.  Is this what you mean Mister X?

Dave