Stack Switching Question

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Oct 5 11:18:28 EDT 2005

simplsol at aol.com wrote:
 >>> Often times I have a button switch stacks in order to retrieve
 >>> data that I need to complete that button's task. In HyperCard
 >>> I could lock the screen, lock the messages, push the card, go
 >>> to the data stack, retrieve the data, pop the card and insert
 >>> the found data. All without displaying the data stack. When I
 >>> do the same thing in Revolution it displays the data stack for
 >>> a flash. Why does that happen, and how do I stop that data
 >>> stack from showing?
 >
 >>  Better still, you don't need to "go" to a stack to retrieve
 >>  data from it. You can just get it:
 >>
 >>   get fld "Whatever" of cd 200 of stack "MyData.rev"
 >
 > I believe stack "MyData.rev" would have to be open already in order to
 > get fld "Whatever".

I used the file name form to illustrate another difference between HC
and Rev:  while you would indeed need to open a stack in HC in order to
get stuff out of it, in Rev you can get property values of objects in
unopened stacks.  When you do that the engine reads the file into memory
to access what's being requested; if the stack has been accessed before
it'll stay in memory (unless you turn on the stack's destroyStack
property), so subsequent accesses will be lightning fast.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal