Stack Switching Question

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Oct 5 15:19:23 EDT 2005

Richard Gaskin wrote:

> I used the file name form to illustrate another difference between HC
> and Rev:  while you would indeed need to open a stack in HC in order to
> get stuff out of it, in Rev you can get property values of objects in
> unopened stacks.  When you do that the engine reads the file into memory
> to access what's being requested; if the stack has been accessed before
> it'll stay in memory (unless you turn on the stack's destroyStack
> property), so subsequent accesses will be lightning fast.

Just an addendum: Actually, I've been using this technique on multiple
stacks, and found that once accessed, the stack stays open until you
explicitly close it regardless of its destroystack settings. I found
this out after I accessed data from a ton of external stacks and then
discovered them all open later on. I had to specifically close them to
remove them from RAM (their destroystack was true, so that did the
trick.) If an accessed stack has its destroystack set to false, just
closing it won't be enough, the script will have to delete it as well.
(I know you already know that, Richard, just mentioning it for
completeness.)

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com