Pricing / entry cost for this tool

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Nov 27 02:42:31 EST 2005

Dan Shafer wrote regarding Flash:
> I would have agreed until the last two revs. I am not personally
> acquainted with the situation, but several friends of mine who teach
> and study multimedia development at our local university have
> complained bitterly to me in the past year about how MM has made
> development in Flash all but inaccessible to folks who don't grok
> scripting. I'm not sure how they've managed to do this -- or if it's
> just a perception -- but it's hurt them in this university curriculum.

And yet while those inventive users suffer, there were never enough of
them to keep Adobe LiveMotion alive.

As Scott Rossi can attest and I'll toss in a hearty "Amen!", LiveMotion
was truly "Flash for the rest of us."  Everyone who ever spent more than
20 minutes with both agreed that LiveMotion was far more accessible.
Borrowing the best of After Effects' award-winning timeline, LiveMotion
made simple and immediate sense out of so many things that were insanely
arcane in Flash.  It didn't offer the full range of dynamic programming
capabilities as Flash had, but LiveMotion made short work of animations
and basic interactivity, certainly enough to handle much of what Flash
is commonly used for.

But at the end of the day, Adobe couldn't find enough users who didn't
prefer the more professionally-oriented Flash to justify keeping
LiveMotion alive.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal