Pricing / entry cost for this tool

Frank R frny4x at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 25 22:21:37 EST 2005

Thanks, Dan, and others for the dialog on this.

  I just have seen so many times in my life products that had So much potential for a larger base, only for it never to happen because of the steep entry costs.

  The $99 entry point for Dreamcard is certainly good - and better than the entry point for many tools out there.

  OTOH, I would always argue to Any tool maker that - the revenue generated by tire kickers is minimal.  Loss of that revenue would not significantly change the financial equation for any tool maker.  But, the door opens to Much Greater revenue when you have scenarios like - 0$ to use the IDE idefinitely, and $X when you deploy your applications.   You catch more long term fish that way.

  Part of this is also personal for me.  I lived times when I could throw money at tools until one stuck to the wall, and now I live during times when that is impossible.

  Anyway, glad to have found the tool - and this list.  Looks like a good crowd and very helpful dialog.

  Frank

Dan Shafer <revdan at danshafer.com> wrote:
  Frank.........

Thanks for sharing your perspective. I don't *entirely* agree but I
don't think you're off the deep end, either.

You said, "I'm going to finish evaluating this, and I'm going to
start my project, but I won't be done in 30 days, and my journey will
probably end there. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I can't afford to
lay out for tools anymore until I Know I'm going to get across the
finish line with something of value to sell."

I noticed the other day that one or Revolution's very few
competitors, RealBasic, has an interesting policy that I hadn't been
aware of before. When your evaluation license expires, they have an
option on the notification dialog to request an extension of time to
continue the evaluation. For kicks, I hit that option and within a
short time I got a new eval license in email. That seems sensible to
me. Rev *is* a big product and although I know that once you know how
productive you can be its price seems if anything too low, the fact
is that if you don't know that for sure, forking over a few hundred
bucks to confirm your suspicions may be asking too much of some folks.

Obviously the company can track such requests and decide at some
point that you've had long enough to evaluate the product and not
grant any extensions. That would keep tire-kickers from using the
product and never buying it.

OTOH, Frank, if you get to 30 days and you've actually spent serious
time with Revolution you will have built at least a few things,
perhaps even part of your planned first application, and then to
decide that you can't afford to pay for a tool you're not sure you
can use to produce something of value to sell may be a very short-
sighted decision indeed. I hope you don't make that one.