Spelling out the license - protesting too much

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Nov 23 17:20:28 EST 2005

Michael J. Lew wrote:
> At 8:47 AM -0600 23/11/05, David Bovill wrote:
>
>> To avoid list clutter it would be a simple
>> policy to add a license url to the default email header, and to add a
>> EULA to the email list sign up process - that way everyone is clear
>> what the terms of posting code to the list are.
>
> I can't let that comment go without putting my oar in. Do not mislead
> yourself into thinking that a sign up EULA would make anyone clear what
> the terms of posting code to the list are.

Even more to the point, in the US and elsewhere the author owns her
words regardless whether the medium is a book or a discussion list; any
EULA from RunRev regarding the content authors contribute to this list
would be irrelevant for all but the few posts made here by RunRev folks.

It would be a shame if this useful desire for clarity took a dark turn
and prompted RunRev to implement one of those silly draconian TOSes like
we see on AOL and elsewhere about how posting here obliterates all of
your rights and grants total control of your words to the list owner.

There's certainly nothing requiring anything so drastic, so long as we
don't demand that RunRev come up with a single EULA to govern the words
of a thousand subscribers.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal