[OT] Security Goes Visual

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Tue Nov 22 14:14:58 EST 2005

At least one of these I've seen doesn't actually require the user to
remember what picture/phrase was chosen except on it being shown.
IOW, I choose a picture of a baseball and the word "homer" as my
confirmations. When I log in with my usual user ID and password, the
server presents those symbols and asks me to confirm that they are
the ones I chose. Or it presents, say, three sets of pictures and
associated words and asks me to pick the one I chose.

The idea is less for the server to identify me than it is for me to
be confident that I'm at the right, authentic server. If I choose my
picture and word wisely, it's just dead simple.

FWIW, one company I've worked with is using a sort of reverse
biometric there, presenting the user with a digitized image of the
user him/herself. The message is, "If you think you're logging into
your bank account and you don't see YOUR picture here, then you
aren't being logged into your account, you're being phished."

I think the idea has real merit.