Usable installers ?

Mathewson richmond at mail.maclaunch.com
Mon Nov 21 16:21:27 EST 2005

Gosh, Richard Gaskin has obviously got the 'rough end' of
Linux.

Awfully sorry Richard,

But have just installed Ubuntu 5.10 i386 on 4 fairly crappy
old Pentium 3s: it was unbelievably easy . . . Frankly my
knowledge of Linux would leave space on a US 1 cent coin!

about 5 years ago I tried to install various forms of Linux
on various stray PCs at the UAE University in the United
Arab Emirates - and rapidly reached the conclusion that
Linux was strictly for masochistic computery types - I
never got the windowing system to work, nor, consequently,
a usable GUI - reminded me of all those UNIX terminal
sessions in the basement at the University of Durham 22
years ago when I crashed a whole mainframe trying to run a
concordancing program I had written in PASCAL processing
the English translation of Leibniz's 'monadologie'!

Anyway, nowadays the average Linux distro seems no more
difficult to install than Microsoft Windows or Mac OS X.

sincerely, Richmond
See Mathewson's software at:

http://members.maclaunch.com/richmond/default.html