What I understand 'Open Source' to mean

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Nov 21 15:38:52 EST 2005

Mathewson wrote:
> I understand 'Open Source' to mean that the software, once
> I have obtained it - whether by paying money or FREE, can
> be altered, improved, messed-up, messed around by me and
> redistributed ( usually without charge) without fear of any
> legal penalties.
>
> HOWEVER, I'm a small time chap in a small time country in
> Eastern Europe . . .
>
> I would like to find out what the "Princes of the Church"
> understand by 'Open Source'; because until a consensus is
> established as to what 'Open Source' means the present
> discussion is probably a bit pointless, with all parties
> entrenched in their respective corners baring their fangs.

Since Stallman and Raymond disagree, I don't expect to find conensus
among us little people here. :)

But in terms of contracting with governments which require open source
software, I think that leaves us out even if our part of a solution is
open source since we, like Flash, Director, Toolbook, and xCode
developers, rely on proprietary components to get the job done.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal