Apache Server with RunRev stacks doing the processing?

Gordon Tillman got at mindspring.com
Sat Nov 19 08:48:12 EST 2005

Morning Kee,

On Nov 19, 2005, at 07:36, kee nethery wrote:

> I'm looking for a way to have an Apache server catch a request
> (will be using SOAP which is basically just a bunch of XML), feed
> it to a RunRev stack that I can debug using the RunRev development
> environment (ie not using a text file with XTalk in it), and then
> format a reply (more XML) and feed it back to the client that sent
> the request. I want to be able to watch the stack visually process
> the request so that I can step through the code as it processes a
> request and debug it quickly.
>
> My preference is to run this on Mac OS X if that makes a difference
> and my preference is to use HTTPS as the transport method, not HTTP
> (which means I really do need to use Apache as the web server). Is
> anyone doing something like this OR does anyone have suggestions on
> how I might implement this.

Here's an idea --

Have your RunRev stack listen on some socket.  Pick one above 1024 so
you don't need to run it as root.  The write a simple php script that
is called from Apache.  The php script can open a socket connection
to the RunRev stack, send the information to the stack over that
socket, and let the stack process the information.  The stack will
then send the results back to the php script which can then return
the information.

Depending on how long you plan on playing with the stack, debugging
it and what not, you may need to turn up some timeout values in Apache.

--gordon

P.S. - If I get some time later today I will post a small sample for
you.