The Disappearing Desktop - It's Real This Time

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Wed Nov 16 21:11:43 EST 2005

Geoff Canyon wrote:
> I'm thinking of an app as a thing that allows me to manipulate my  data.
> Obviously there are also apps that allow me to browse other  people's
> data. That's what Google Maps is. We'll know that Rev is  being
> challenged when there are successful Ajax apps that let me work  with my
> own data. Writely doesn't qualify because it isn't successful  yet.

Good point. I might add the condition of being 'successful' would be
tied to generating revenue. IMO, getting a million hits on your free web
app doesn't count.

I'm not convinced being the first one on the block with an AJAX enabled
office app (or others) is all that significant. I think timing is
critical, and not being on the bleeding edge is more important.

See what happens when you're first:
Visicalc
Wordstar
PARC
Kaypro
Mosaic browser
I can't even remember the first search engine.