The Disappearing Desktop - It's Real This Time

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Wed Nov 16 14:01:52 EST 2005

Geoff....

Not a bad job of abstraction and generalization, given the
limitations of both of those methodologies.

The two advantages you mention for Rev are essentially the same (if
you view command keys, e.g., as UI widgets that just don't have a
visible representation) and are the very reason AJAX competes well.
AJAX embodies the potential for a reasonably complete set of UI
widgets as well. Some of the libraries on the market have more types
of UI widgets than even Rev (e.g., something called an accordion that
companies like Macromedia use a lot and that isn't built into Rev but
is a standard component in at least three of the AJAX libraries I've
evaluated so far).

So *if* -- and that's a big "if" -- the *only* advantages of Rev over
AJAX is the UI componentry, then Rev has essentially little or no
advantage.

But in point of fact, Rev simplifies a lot of the *server-side* stuff
that is part of the entire end-to-end AJAX solution (notably database
access abstraction). That's why I think there -- and the development
of AJAX interface design tools -- is where Rev's 'sweet spot" in the
AJAX/RIA application "revolution" lies.

http://www.shafermedia.com
 From http://www.shafermediastore.com/tech_main.html