The Disappearing Desktop - It's Real This Time

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Thu Nov 10 03:03:34 EST 2005

On Nov 9, 2005, at 10:19 PM, Chipp Walters wrote:

>> For example, the RevOnline stack. It's parts are not parts. The
>> content can be changed but not the tools. It would be cool if
>> the next time you clicked on news or users, you would get a
>> newer and more capable/efficient gui each time...  I think that
>> the edge of Ajax is there... Not that it's not possible in rev
>> but until we work on it, it's not going to get far anytime soon.
>
> All of our apps have used our own MagicCarpet Auto-updating
> Architecture which can easily change the GUI at any time.

I just wanted to second what Chipp is saying here.  My company has a
similar architecture built into our applications built with
Revolution.  Our educational software has all the benefits of being
kept up to date (both the application and educational content
presented inside the application) using the internet plus it can be
used for learning and referencing when people are on the road, in an
airplane or at a doctor's office that has no internet connection.

The web browser is not the internet.  You can have all of benefits
that the internet provides in robust, user-friendly desktop
software.  When I started developing the software that my company
sells, I decided to leave web applications behind.  They just don't
provide the user experience, nor provide the features required by the
software my company produces.  Each time we go to add features or
make our architecture a little more robust, I'm really glad that we
settled on Revolution as our development environment.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Multimedia
trevor at mangomultimedia.com