The Disappearing Desktop - It's Real This Time

xavier.bury at clearstream.com xavier.bury at clearstream.com
Thu Nov 10 02:32:26 EST 2005

Chipp said

> MisterX wrote:
>
> > Andre,
> >
> > you are very right but a dreamcard application can be just as
> > unsafe or malignous as any spyware or trojan. Ajax is supposed
> > to be safe and im sure many industry standards will evolve to
> > support that. It has been a requirement for Java, javascript,
> > I don't see it stopping there.
>
> All one needs to do is add a certificate capability to a RR plugin (or
> helper app more likely) and you've reinvented ActiveX. Because, Xavier,
> it turns out you really do need to go 'outside the sandbox' to develop
> full and robust applications. Can you see Photoshop as an AJAX app? So
> the current sandbox limited versions of Java and Javascript just can't
> do it. If so, then why haven't we seen even one commercial mainstream
> app developed with Java?

While i dont see photoshop "yet", i never thought either something like
flash was possible before i saw it. OK, flash is not ajax but what of
maps.google.com? The satellite maps? That's a step into the right
direction and i would have never imagined that possible out of flash
on a browser...

As far as Java mainstream applications, you have SAP for intranets
used by thousands, B2B applications, P2P (azureus for example which
beats lots of compiled apps), most web banking applications too (i
work in a clearing bank, and no java would mean the end of electronic
transactions in many cases)... It's not photoshop, granted but how
useful is photoshop in a webbrowser when you can have the real thing
on a more efficient desktop application? Again, mainstream "practical"
use is what's a stake with ajax, moft web office etc...

> > For example, the RevOnline stack. It's parts are not parts. The
> > content can be changed but not the tools. It would be cool if
> > the next time you clicked on news or users, you would get a
> > newer and more capable/efficient gui each time...  I think that
> > the edge of Ajax is there... Not that it's not possible in rev
> > but until we work on it, it's not going to get far anytime soon.
>
> All of our apps have used our own MagicCarpet Auto-updating Architecture

> which can easily change the GUI at any time.

Good to know...

We seem to be working on very parallel themes and tools ;)

cheers
Xavier

To make communications with Clearstream easier, Clearstream has
recently changed the email address format to conform with industry
standards. The new format is 'firstname.familyname at clearstream.com'.

Visit us at http://www.clearstream.com

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Internet communications are not secure and therefore Clearstream
International does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of
this message.

legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or
any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is
prohibited and may be unlawful. Any views expressed in this e-mail are
those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically
states them to be the views of Clearstream International or of any of
its affiliates or subsidiaries.

END OF DISCLAIMER