Controlling External Devices

Robert Brenstein rjb at robelko.com
Fri Nov 4 15:29:07 EST 2005

>On quick glance, I don't think hooking up REV to this thing would be
>that hard.
>
>Looking at this company's broad offerings for OSX and 9, and the
>fact that they've created software hooks for almost every other
>programming platform (including HC on OS 9) - They seem open and
>flexible.
>
>I think that if someone had a project in REV that could use their
>product that they would be pleased as hell and would probably bend
>over backwards to help develop the needed externals to use with REV.
>Then they could add REV to their list of supported. I have a feeling
>the application-specific code is quite small; this is what is
>installed on the host machine with their installer:
>
>The installation program "SERVICE USB.pkg" installs the driver,
>which consists of the following components:
>
>  /Library/Frameworks/Service USB Driver.framework Contains
>Frameworks, which contains all control applications for SERVICE USB.
>
>/Library/ScriptingAdditions/SERVICE USB.osax Contains the AppleScript support.
>
>/Library/Receipts/SERVICE USB.pkg Contains the installation program.
>The "Receipts" folder gives an overview of the enhancements that
>have already been installed on the computer.
>
>/Library/StartupItems/SERVICE_USB_FirmwareLoader Ensures that a
>background process (Daemon) begins, which loads the firmware into
>the interface if necessary.

Yes, I have wondered whether the USB external that Chipp has
abandonded could be adjusted for a specific device like this. May be
Chip should discuss this with them (I don't think they have a
distributor in the US, so this may be a business opportunity).

I may not have said it clearly but the company actually tested that
their device works fine with Rev using AppleScript. They say the
syntax is like

   do "set SERVICE output value 85" as applescript

to set the output value to 01010101 binary, for example. For many
control applications, using AppleScript can be just fine.

They are just looking into developing an example stack for Rev if
there is enough interest.

Robert