Controlling External Devices

Troy Rollins troy at rpsystems.net
Thu Nov 3 19:13:17 EST 2005

On Nov 3, 2005, at 7:04 PM, Roger Guay wrote:

> I'm sorry I wasn't clear about this.  What I'm looking for is a
> computer interface with touch screen to a complex electro-mechanical
> device.  That's why I mentioned an external Programable Logic
> Controller.  An example that a lot of folks would relate to would be
> computer control/interface of a robot.  Does that help?

Yes, it makes sense. To be honest for those types of things I use AMX
control systems, and their own programming language. I use Revolution
as a device on my control network, but it isn't doing any of the "heavy
lifting", it is more a data I/O system which the AMX controller
resources for various types of data. I suppose I could send control
commands through Rev to the AMX controller... but the native stuff does
such a good job (and it is what my clients are actually buying) that I
have never bothered to try. AMX stuff is also about the farthest thing
from a low cost solution, if that is a concern – but it DOES qualify as
a programmable logic controller.  ;-)

--
Troy
RPSystems, Ltd.