Strange field wraps with tabs

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Nov 3 12:41:30 EST 2005

SimPLsol at aol.com wrote:
> Xavier,
> Thank you, again, for the suggestion that tabs might be causing the strange
> display problems in large fields. I changed the delimiter from tab to "|" and
> the display problems disappeared.
> The original reason for the tabs was to make the data more transportable -
> especially to spreadsheets. But it is easy to convert it:
>
> replace "|" with tab in field "Datafield"
>
> Or, if one wants to see the data more easily, use " | " - with a space before
> and after the bar, then
>
> replace " | " with tab in field "Datafield"

Just make sure you never do business with C|Net, as their trademark will
  break your data parsing.

In my tests here I found odd rendering even without tabs -- see this post:
<http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-revolution/2005-November/069319.html>

On the bright side, there's rarely a need to display that many columns
to a user in most layouts.  In DB apps it's common to display a useful
subset of fields in a list for the user to pick from, and then edit
fields in a detail view showing all fields.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation