checking removable drives

xavier.bury at clearstream.com xavier.bury at clearstream.com
Thu Nov 3 03:58:23 EST 2005

Ken,

At work we use etrust, CAVA (for emc systems) and sophos and never get
these issues!!!

I've thrown away Norton long ago because it's such an intrusive
over-simplistic application without
much choice of what i could or wanted to be done.

Not to mention the email slowdowns with dialog interuptions, slow file
accesses, crahes etc...

These you dont get from Sophos and you have lots of parameters that you
can adjust for fine-tuning
performance and security levels.

I've also tried MacAfee  AV and it was just a bit better than NAV but same
"consumer" simple settings
that dont help and issues later on - like your system freezes when it
scans big files and it didn't detect a few
virii and let them through! Let's not talk about the spyware it let
through!

I wonder, does NAV for mac interupt every applescript using a file? I
remember NAV being installed on my
old mac, and this rogue applet sending all my files to the trash without
peep from NAV!!!

Symantec products had a good track record fixing MacOS drives' follies in
the old days where Apple's
Disk First Aid came too short but later on PCs, pretty much every norton
product caused major
problems over and over...

Now, if you look at window's AV comparisons, you get 10 different
answers... it's good to know what works
and what doesn't... Im not saying NAV is not good but it just never cut it
for me...

just my 2 cents to make windows friendlier, and more productive...

cheers
Xavier

use-revolution-bounces at lists.runrev.com wrote on 03/11/2005 08:52:40:

> On 11/3/05 1:29 AM, "xavier.bury at clearstream.com"
> <xavier.bury at clearstream.com> wrote:
>
> > Ken, Richard,
> >
> > it's true it's open for discussion but in general, programs that write
> > prefs to the same app folder have
> > the advantage that they can be moved anywhere later by the user.
> >
> > The registry is practical in case you want to update with an installer
so
> > it's easy to see where the
> > app was installed (not all users have the same "program files",
"windows"
> > or application (your app name)
> > folder.
> >
> > Anyway, to get back to the subject to see if a drive in Windows is
> > removable, look at this vbs example
> >
> > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-
> us/script56/html
> > /sgfsosample.asp
> >
> > There might be other ways for those who can't execute vbs scripts but
it's
> > the "common" way to script
> > windows' objects...
>
> ... and unfortunately triggers Norton AntiVirus (and others) to display
> warning dialog about the "suspicious" behavior... VBS is very useful
from
> Rev, but as soon as you use the FileSystemObject, you trigger the
anti-viral
> software...
>

> Ken Ray
> Sons of Thunder Software
> Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/
> Email: kray at sonsothunder.com

To make communications with Clearstream easier, Clearstream has
recently changed the email address format to conform with industry
standards. The new format is 'firstname.familyname at clearstream.com'.

Visit us at http://www.clearstream.com

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Internet communications are not secure and therefore Clearstream
International does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of
this message.

legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or
any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is
prohibited and may be unlawful. Any views expressed in this e-mail are
those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically
states them to be the views of Clearstream International or of any of
its affiliates or subsidiaries.

END OF DISCLAIMER