Select All and Undo

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Wed Nov 2 14:59:08 EST 2005

Klaus Major wrote:

>> And, sigh, Undo still does not in most of the time in the newest
>> version.
>

> What exatcly cannot be "undone"? Works here of course ;-)

I find most things can't be undone in the script editor.

1. Start a new mainstack, put in a button and edit its script

add a line, so it looks like

on mouseUp
    put 1 into a
end mouseUp

then position the cursor in the middle of the line, say just after the '1'

Hit Return
Can't be undone.

2. Then type
repeat with i = 1 to 20
and hit return.
Can't be undone.

3. Put the cursor at the start of the "end repeat" line and hit
Backspace a couple of times until it joins back to the previous line.
Can't be undone.

4. Note :  your cursor is now just after the '0' in 20

Hit Return.
You now have
   repeat with i = 1 to 20end repeat
  end repeat

Sigh :-(
btw - that can't be undone either.

5.Highlight and delete the spurious "end repeat" at the end of the
repeat line.
Yeah !! that *can* be undone.

6. OK - to make sure we have tidied up, select and delete the entire script.
type in again
on mouseUp
   repeat with i = 1 to 20

  end repeat
end mouseUp

put your cursor after the "mouse" and before "Up" in the "end mouseUp" line.
type "dd" - then Undo (yeah - that worked too)
Undo again (to re-insert those two characters), go to end of line and
type 'ss"
[ line now says   end mouseddUpss    ]
Hit Undo - it removes the "ss" *and* the Up before it.

7, 8, 9, 10, .... try just about anything.
Undo either does nothing, or gets it wrong, for almost anything other
than simple text insertion (and in fact #6 showed that even that isn't
100% safe).