cgi timeout ?

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Mon May 30 13:59:33 EDT 2005

JB,

I don't think that fiddling with the socket timeout interval is a good
solution, also hooking a HTTP connection like this is not safe, some
browsers might just choose to give up. I think the most elegant
solution would be to split your HTML page in two and work like this:

1) CLIENT: enter web form for the complex task or jump start that slow
task.
2) CGI: send back a HTML with a meta refresh tag of 15 seconds (more
then enough). This HTML might have a message like: "Wait while we
process the task...", there in this HTML you hide some param (in a
hidden form, in the URL or in a cookie) to tag which calculation you're
doing, you need this for if two users open the page at the same time,
you'll be able to show the correct result. After 15 secs, browser
redirects to the result html. Everyone is happy.

You might generate a unique ID on the CGI jumpstart and append that to
the result CGI link tag that is present on the waiting HTML page, like:

content="15;url=http://www.myserver.com/cgi-bin/result.cgi?
uid=923756972356">

with this design you save bandwitdh, you make a easy working CGI that
can couple with many connections without hogging the whole system and
you comply with http good manners. If you need further assistance with
this, just ask.

Cheers
andre

On May 27, 2005, at 2:59 PM, jbv wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> Although I make heavy use of Rev cgi on some projects,
> I'm far from being an expert on cgi / Apache / Linux /
> server administration...
>
> In some situations (mainly development & debugging),
> Rev cgi is asked to perform quite complex tasks, and
> sometimes the execution of a script can take up to 8 or
> 9 or 10 seconds (I know : it's prohibitive, but in the
> development process you don't always know in advance
> if your approach will lead to fast execution or not)...
> And I noticed that when a task (script execution) reaches
> the 9 to 11 seconds limit, it doesn't return anything, or
> IOW it seems to just stop & vanish...
> So I was wondering if there was a timeout of some sort
> in the Apache / Linux configuration, and what was the
> best way to deal with it...
>
> Thanks,
> JB

Andre Alves Garzia ð 2004 ð BRAZIL