OT: Tiger's Interface Quirks

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat May 28 04:47:22 EDT 2005

Kurt Kaufman wrote:
> Pretty far OT for the Revolution list, but of interest specifically to
> those of us who are writing applications for Mac OS X, a review:
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/05/26/tiger_ui_review/

Thanks for posting that. Interesting read.

I followed one of the links in that to:
<http://arstechnica.com/reviews/os/macosx-10.4.ars/3>

...where the author notes a change in Tiger that may bode well for us
multi-platform developers:

    Apple did finally come to its senses and
    ditch the mailbox drawer, replacing it
    with a splitter pane on the left.

Mail had previously been the most popular app using drawers, and its use
encouraged other UI designers to follow suit.  The problem for us, of
course, is that drawers are platform-specific, so if we use them we need
to figure out how to display the same information without them for the
majority of our customers using all other OSes.

This move by Apple is most welcome:  every OS uses splitter panes
widely, and they're easy to implement in Rev on all of them.

Apple has "rejoined the family of nations" with this move, and while
I've managed to avoid the drawers conundrum thus far at last I'm
confident I won't need to bother thinking about it at all.

Coupled with the coming two-button mouse, Apple is making our work
supporting their OS easier and easier....

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation