Web Pages in a Field

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Thu May 26 12:12:16 EDT 2005

Recently, Thomas McGrath III  wrote:

> Guys, here is a sample of what I get:
> h4 {position:absolute;left: -976em !important}
> .navicon {             background-repeat:no-repeat;
background-position:2px
> 8px;             padding-left:14px !important;         }
#navarrow {
> background-image:url(/udm-resources/sony_right_arrow.gif)
> !important;         }                  #navarrow:hover, #navarrow:focus,
> #navarrow:visited:hover, #navarrow.udmR, #navarrow.udmR:visited,
> #navarrow:active {
> background-image:url(/udm-resources/sony_down_arrow.gif) !important;
> }                  #clarify {position:absolute;left: -972em !important}
> 0&&parent.frames.length) {
> d=parent.frames[n.substring(p+1)].document; n=n.substring(0,p);}
> if(!(x=d[n])&&d.all) x=d.all[n]; for (i=0;!x&&i
> -->SEARCH:        "); } else {     document.write(" HOME"); } //-->
> -->
>

> I am guessing that these web pages are filled with things that get URL
> can't display. It has not crashed on me (yet) but nothing but garbage
> is displayed.

Hi Thomas:

The above is not garbage, but rather CSS (Cascading Style Sheet) code, which
is simply another means to describe the layout of the page.

To add a bit more to what Klaus explained, there are two issues to consider
here: grabbing the code of a Web page and actually rendering a Web page.
Rev is capable of grabbing  every bit of code that describes the page, but
natively its only capable of *rendering* a basic subset of HTML.  With CSS
becoming ubiquitous in Web pages, Rev's capabilities will have to be
updated, or we will have to rely on externals like altBrowser, which (as I'm
sure know) effectively embeds a Web browser in your stack.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director