Button text on icon image

Eric Chatonet eric.chatonet at sosmartsoftware.com
Mon May 23 16:06:26 EDT 2005

Hi Klaus, Dave and others :-)

For cross-platform GUI dedicated to seniors I created many times
custom transparent buttons with 3 icons: normal, armed and hilited,
and a field that overlaps the button to display text (with a big font).
I grouped the button and set proper handlers in the group script to
trap the mouse events.
In addition, some automatic font adjustments using profiles made the
cross-platform job.
Requires some work but works perfectly...

Just my two cents.

PS. As for wanting a "standard" button with an icon and text in the
middle overlapping the icon, I never saw any button of this kind in
any app following the guide lines on any platform ;-)
But may be I don't understand correctly. re ;-)

Best regards from Paris,

Eric Chatonet.

Le 23 mai 05 à 21:57, Klaus Major a écrit :

> Hi Dave,

>> I had a similar problem with your script as Klaus.
>> In my case, the icon's image size and the button size are the same.
>> This is what I've found so far...
>>
>> On Windows (XP), if you keep the difference between the topMargin
>> and the bottomMargin the same as the textSize, the icon will
>> appear properly. And the value of the bottomMargin can be used to
>> position the text. So for example, with a button sized 100 x 30,
>> and a textSize of 14, setting margins to 0,20,0,6 is about right.
>> On the same button, but with a textSize set at 12, margins of
>> 0,19,0,7 work well. The font used and the textHeight don't seem to
>> matter.
>> But on OS X, it seems the difference between the topMargin and
>> bottomMargin has to be 2 pixels more than the textSize (but I
>> think this difference may vary for different textSizes). For
>> example, with the same button and icon (100 x 30), with the
>> textSize at 14, margins of 0,22,0,6 works. With a textSize of 12,
>> margins of 0,20,0,6 work.
>>

> thanks for the hints, will surely try this out!

So Smart Software

Plugins, tutorials and more on our website
Phone        33 (0)1 43 31 77 62
Mobile        33 (0)6 20 74 50 86