shell command on Windows

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Sun May 22 17:43:42 EDT 2005

Recently, Ken Ray  wrote:

> Well, AFAIK, Windows doesn't come with built-in compression like ZIP; you
> have to buy/download WinZip, or Stuffit for Windows. I believe WinZip has a
> command line option, but I think you need to download and install it.

I'm no expert, but an exception *might* be XP.  My copy of XP Home seems to
have ZIP built in.  Right-clicking a compressed file includes an option to
unzip from the contextual menu which steps through a two step unzip wizard
(this is apparently provided by the OS).

Something may have been included in a service upgrade, but even then zip
still seems to be an MS-provided thing on this OS.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design