is it true ?

Dennis Brown see3d at writeme.com
Sat May 21 10:55:05 EDT 2005

On May 19, 2005, at 2:12 PM, Alex Tweedly wrote:

> Dennis Brown wrote:
>

>> If we all make an effort to fix stuff or add examples to the web
>> notes, perhaps everyone, even those not on this list will benefit.
>>

> Hmmmm - I think I'd agree with Phil Davis from an earlier thread on
> the topic of Web Notes - without someone watching over the content,
> you have to be careful how much you trust Web Notes written by
> random, unidentified people. And of course, there's no way to know
> whether anything you put up there will remain there, since anyone
> can edit it later.

You bring up a good point.  Contributors should put their name or
email into their notes.  Deleting/editing someone else's notes should
require some sort of password given to trusted contributors.

>> The thing that would really make the web notes shine, is if the
>> Icon  would change to a wiggly one, or some other way of grabbing
>> your  attention if a web note is available.  I am sure it would be
>> easy to  add a script to the doc stack that after finding a topic,
>> it would  (if you have a web connection) check to see if the web
>> note is not  empty and do something noticeable.  Unfortunately I
>> am not  experienced enough to make that change.  Anyone out there
>> know how to  do this?

> The problem is that there's no way to tell if there is a Web Note
> without doing the HTTP "get" - and once you've got the web page,
> you might as well just display it - so you might as well just turn
> on "Display Web Notes". There might be some value in changing an
> icon, for the sake of those where the doc page is more than one
> screen long, and it's easy to miss the web note.

I tried this turn on "Display Web Notes", but the note window does
not get refreshed when I go to a new entry.  I have to close it and
open it again to get the current note.

> What I've been looking at is extracting all the Web Notes - easy to
> do, but pretty slow ..... and demonstrates the need for someone to
> monitor what text gets entered there. I'll put the stack up on
> RevOnline when it's done - but in the meantime, all the Web Notes
> from the Dictionary can be found at
> http://www.tweedly.net/RunRev/webnotes-dictionary.html

Pitiful few notes added so far.  It seems that Phil Davis is the
major contributor.

Obviously this could be a more powerful feature with just a few
improvements.  It might even be nice to have pointers to rev list
discussion posts about an item, or note bug numbers etc.

Dennis