Language ideas

Robert Brenstein rjb at robelko.com
Fri May 20 15:15:49 EDT 2005

>On 5/20/05 6:50 AM, "MisterX" <b.xavier at internet.lu> wrote:
>
>>  Im compiling a bugzilla enhancement to make transcript more natural
>>
>>  if there is a drive x then
>>  if there is a control c in group g
>In my opinion to English'ish is very error prone, because every body has his
>way of talking. True, transcript is English but English has many versions.
>Besides the fact that RR is already a very big language. Therefore I think
>the best way is a bit scheme or some kind of formality and not, e.g. If
>there is a or so on. Also in your case 70 percent of RR has has to be
>changed and 10 percent omitted (which I would prefer)
>IsNumber change to "number" and number change to amount or count
>selectedLine, hilitedLine.
>Now in a case like this I'd rather suggest to add a function "thereIs" or
>something alike, instead of looping to equate.
>Hershel Fisch

Hershel, the construct "there is a" is already in the language. It's
used to check for existence of something (object in a stack, file,
directory). Xavier just suggested new options: to check whether a
volume (it should be volume or partition not drive) is mounted
(volume in question could be local, remote, or virtual) or whether a
control is inside a specific group. The current syntax allows
checking only whether a control exists.

I think these would be useful additions.

>  >
>>  if a=b or if b=c then
>Well in this one, if a=b or c=d is shorter and clearer.

I see no point for this.

>  > if a is (b or c) then
>Or if a = (b or c)

I find it ambiguous because it will interfere with normal 'or' clauses.

>  > put a into b and c
>Or put a into b,c This is something that would be good.

Akin to what can be done in C :) It could be a handy shortcut
ocassionally but using 'and' here bother me since 'and' normally
implies logical operation. May using comma would be better if there
is a convincing justification to add it.

Robert