[OT] Is there a relationship between Xtalk languages and smalltalk?

Mikey mikeythek at gmail.com
Thu May 19 17:55:52 EDT 2005

AppleTalk was Apple's (chatty) proprietary protocol which worked over
LocalTalk hardware.

BTW, since SC was an HC descendent, it's no wonder that the language
name was similar.

My recollection from that time and one of Bill's interviews with some
rag was that they couldn't describe HC in any vocabulary that someone
who had never used it could understand.  There really were no IDE's or
RAD tools, and the paradigm was so radically different that the entire
article did nothing but confuse all of us reading it all the more.  It
wasn't until I actually touched HC and then bought the Waite Group's
Tricks of the HyperTalk Masters and HyperTalk Bible (like RR, there
weren't any manuals with the original version - at least any that I
was able to get a hold of.  I think you had to pay Apple $50 if you
wanted theirs) that it really began to make sense.  But I digress.

Anyway, HT was, if my memory serves me correctly, named due to the
fact that you could actually speak it to someone else and they could
understand what you were telling them.  However it's been a very, very
long time, so I could also be suffering from
making-it-up-to-sound-cool syndrome, too.
--
http://taoofrunrev.blogspot.com
http://taoof4d.blogspot.com