Formatting Widgets for OS X

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Sat May 14 18:13:10 EDT 2005

On 5/14/05 3:44 PM, "Brian K. Maher" <brian.k.maher at pleasantbreeze.com>
wrote:

> Hi Ken,
>
>> Well, you can change the margins of the field by setting the "margins"
>> property. By default, the margins are 8 pixels, but you can set the
>> margins
>> to another value if you like. I created a dummy field in RB 5.5 and
>> matched
>> it to Revolution by setting the textFont of the field to "Lucida
>> Grande",
>> the textSize to "12", and the margins to "4,6,4,4".
>
> Yep, that's what I've been messing around with (the margins).  However,
> I cannot get them right when I use the correct font size (13 instead
> of 12)
> as per the UI guidelines.

Ah, I was thrown off because RB sets the default size for static and
editable text at 12 pt (which is neither the "system font", nor the "small
system font" as the HIG states, but is instead the "view font"), and
Revolution at 11 pt (the small system font).

When I set both to 13 points, the margins of "4,6,4,4" works to match... I
took a screen capture of RB and brought it into Rev and made a transparent
field so I could see the match up... it is *almost* identical with the
margins I mentioned; there are like 1/4 pixel kerning issues between leters
(not sure which app is "right" here) where it is not a 100% match, but it is
98 or 99%.

HTH,

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software