Collecting Sound Files in a stack

Frank D. Engel, Jr. fde101 at fjrhome.net
Sat May 14 08:24:57 EDT 2005

Ah, yes that is true.  *Uncompressed* WAV files (and not all of them
are, I think), would indeed preserve better audio quality than either
of the other formats.

However, if the concern is to get the sound across in a smaller amount
of data space, compressed audio formats such as MP3 and AAC would
reduce the amount of space taken up by the files substantially, and are
typically "good enough" for most purposes.

So it depends on the intended usage of the files once they reach their
destination: if the compressed quality is indeed "good enough," then
going with MP3 or AAC would likely be a smart move.  However, if there
is higher demand for audio quality, then a higher-quality lossless or
uncompressed format (AIFF, WAV, etc.) would likely be needed, although
it will increase the storage, and therefore the amount of time it will
take to transfer across the 'net.

FWIW, I found a discussion concerning AIFF, WAV, and FLAC formats here:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/archive/index.php/t-4131.html

A comparison of AAC, MP3, and OGG was here:

http://forums.macnn.com/archive/index.php/t-161144.html

As an alternative to repackaging the files, have you (original poster)
considered using a more robust file transfer program which auto-resumes
broken downloads?

On May 13, 2005, at 4:56 PM, Stephen Barncard wrote:

> Frank, I rarely disagree with you , but MP3 and AAC are NOT and will
> never be "Better" than a raw WAV file, audio wise. Uncompressed
> Broadcast WAV files are the standard of the audio industry, supported
> by every DAW and platform, and supports all bitrates up to 192k.
>
> The others, as far as good audio is concerned, are inferior consumer
> audio 'toys'. Meridian 'lossless' is the only thing that comes close,
> which is what is used in DVD-A releases.
>
> The original poster was sending sd2 files, which indicated that he
> wants to send uncompressed full bandwidth files over the net.

$ ln -s /usr/share/kjvbible /usr/manual
everlasting life.
$

Signup at www.doteasy.com