help on adding value in temp variable

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Sun May 8 14:18:49 EDT 2005

Paul Salyers wrote:

> I got the above problem fixed, miss directed links.

Cool.

> however I'm now having this problem.
>
> on mouseUp
>   put "+" into tFx                                     -- Store the +
> for use later
>   put tFx into field "Fx"                            -- See for sure
> the + is being stored
>   put  "1" into field "doWhat"                   -- program handler if
> the text of field "doWhat" = "1" do this else do this
>   put field "Answer" into tfkey
>   put value ( field "AddTo") Fx (tfkey) into field "AddTo"  --  Add
> the fields together
>
> end mouseUp
>

> of I use
>
> on mouseUp
>   --put "+" into tFx
>   put tFx into field "Fx"
>   put  "1" into field "doWhat"
>   put field "Answer" into tfkey
>   put value ( field "AddTo") + (tfkey) into field "AddTo"
>
> end mouseUp

In this latter case you don't actually need to use the value function -
you could simply do
    put field "AddTo" + tfKey into field "AddTo"
(see example below)

When you want the operator (such as + or * or -) to be evaluated -
that's when you need to use the "value" function.

> on mouseUp
>   put 2 into tOther
>   put field "inField" + tOther into tResult
>   put "answer = " & tResult & cr after msg
>
>   put "*" into tFX
>   put value( field "inField" & tFX & tOther ) into tResult
>   put "second answer = " & tResult & cr after msg
>
> end mouseUp

Note the entire expression is enclosed in the parentheses of value - i.e.
    value ( field "inField" & tFX & tOther)
NOT   value ( field "inField") & tFX & tOther     which would be a
common mistake to make.